The main purpose of the Association is to promote and manage “The Viking Route”, one of only 26 accredited Cultural Routes of the Council of Europe. The opportunity to be involved with this prestigious brand is the key benefit of joining the Destination Viking Association.
On becoming a member, your organisation will also;
• gain access to a network of specialists in Viking heritage, and tourism
• become part of a growing and lively partnership of organisations from different countries
• have access to the support of the network to produce initiatives at local, regional,
national and transnational levels
• be able to contribute to activity plans to encourage borderless tourism for member countries
• share in cross-border co-operation opportunities
• be helping to protect and promote the tangible and intangible legacy of the Vikings
Destination Viking Association has already involved partners both in the Scandinavian 'home lands' of the Vikings in the Nordic countries as well as in a number of the lands in the west where Scandinavians settled (the Isle of Man, Orkney and Shetland, Faeroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland) and some of the Baltic Sea areas with strong Scandinavian impact during the Viking Age (Germany, Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Russia). The partnership is open to new partners and new countries.